- Amanda-Client-server model Backup tool
- Bacula-Another client-server model Backup tool
- Backupninja-Lightweight, extensible meta-data backup system
- BACKUPPC-Client-server model Backup tool and file sharing scenario.
- Burp-Network backup and restore program
- Duplicity-bandwidth encrypted using the RSYNC algorithm-efficient backup
- LSYNCD-Monitors the change of a local directory tree and then generates a process to synchronize changes. Rsync is used by default.
- Rsnapshot-File System Snapshot Tool
- Safekeep-Using Rdiff-backup, centralized, pull-based backup
- TARSNAP-Secure backup service with an open source client
- Urbackup-Another client-server backup system
- Backup scripts for Drebs-aws EBS support policies
- Clonezilla-Partitioning and disk mirroring/cloning programs
- Fog-Another computer cloning solution
- Redo backup-Simple backups, restores and restores
- appscale– Open source cloud computing software compatible with Google App engine.
- Archipel-Manage and monitor virtual machines using Libvirt
- CloudStack-Cloud software for creating, managing, and deploying the underlying cloud services
- Cobbler-cobbler is a Linux installation server that allows you to quickly build a network installation environment
- Eucalyptus-Open source private cloud software compatible with AWS
- Mesos-Development and operation of highly energy efficient distributed systems.
- Opennebula-A user-driven cloud management platform for system administrators and development operations
- OpenStack-Open source software for building private and open clouds
- The Foreman-foreman is a full life cycle management tool for both physical and virtual servers. FOSS.
Cloud Business Processes
- The Bosh-iaas business process platform was originally used to deploy and manage the cloud computing platform PAAs, but it is also used for common distributed systems.
- Cloudify-Open Source tosca-based cloud business process software platform written using Python and Yaml.
- Juju-Cloud orchestration tools for managing services, such as CHARMS,YAML configuration and deployment script sets
- Mcollective-Management Server business process and development of the Ruby framework from the puppet lab
- Overcast-Deploy VMS on different cloud providers and run command lines and scripts in parallel via SSH on any or all (VMS)
- Rundeck-A simple business process tool
- Salt-python Writing
- Git-annex Assistant-A sync folder on your every OSX and Linux pc, Android device, removable drive, NAS appliance and cloud service
- OwnCloud-Provides unified access to your files through the Web, your PC and your mobile device
- Seafile-Another open source cloud storage solution
- Sparkleshare-Provides cloud storage and file Synchronization Services. It uses git as the storage backend by default
- Swift-a highly available, distributed, and ultimately consistent object/Big data store
- Syncthing-an open source system for private, encrypted and authenticated data
A collaborative code review system based on web
- Gerrit-based on git versioning, it facilitates software developers to review source code modifications and approve or reject these changes.
- Review Board-free software available based on the MIT license
Collaboration software and groupware Suite
- Citadel/ux-Collaboration Kit (messages and groupware) inherited from the Citadel family program
- Groupware software written by egroupware-php
- Horde Groupware-PHP-based collaboration software suite, including mail, calendar, wiki, time tracking and file management
- Kolab-Another groupware kit
- SOGo-Collaboration software server, focus on simplicity and scalability
- Zimbra-collaboration software suite, including mail Service and Web Client
Configure the Management database
Configuration Management database (CMDB) software
- I-doit-Open Source It document management and CMDB
- ITop-A fully open source, ITIL, web-based service management tool
- Ralph-Asset Management for large data centers or smaller local networks, DICM and CMDB systems
- Clusto-helps track your inventory, where, how to connect, and provides an abstract interface for interacting with infrastructure elements
Configuration management Tools
- Ansible-python, managing nodes via SSH
- CFEngine-Lightweight proxy system. Configure the state by stating the language.
- Written in Chef-rbuy and Erlang, using pure RUBYDSL
- The Fabric-python library and CLI tools simplify the use of SSH for application deployment or system administration tasks.
- Pallet-schema definition, configuration and management via Clojure DSL
- Puppet-ruby written, using Puppet declaration language or Rbuy DSL
- Salt-python Writing
- Slaughter-perl Writing
Continuous succession and continuous deployment
Continuous integration/Deployment software
- Buildbot-Python-based Continuous integration tool
- Drone-Build a continuous integration server in Docker, configured with YAML files
- GitLab CI-based on Rbuy. They also provide gitlab for managing git repositories
- Go-Open source Continuous delivery server
- Jenkins-A scalable, open-source, continuous Integration Server
- Vlad the Deployer-automated deployment
Distributed File System
Network Distributed File System
- Ceph-Distributed object storage and file systems
- DRBD-Distributed block device replication
- Leofs-unstructured objects/data storage and high availability, distributed, and ultimately consistent storage systems.
- GlusterFS-extensible, Network attached storage file system.
- Distributed, scalable, portable file system for the Hadoop framework, written by Hdfs-java
- Lustre-A parallel Distributed file system, generally used for large-scale cluster computing.
- Moosefs-Fault tolerant, network Distributed File system.
- MogileFS-application level, network Distributed File system.
- OpenAFS-read replicas and distributed network file systems supported by multiple operating systems
- TAHOELAFS-Secure, decentralized, fault-tolerant, point-to-point distributed data storage, and distributed file systems.
- The XTREEMFS-XTREEMFS is a fault-tolerant distributed file system for storage requirements.
- Bind-the most widely used domain name service software
- Djbdns-dns application collection, including Tinydns
- Designate-dns REST API, back-end support for multiple DNS servers
- DNSMASQ-Lightweight service that provides DNS,DHCP and TFTP services for small-scale networks
- Knot-High performance, authoritative DNS server
- NSD-Authoritative, high-performance, simple domain name server.
- Powerdns-A DNS server with a variety of data storage backend and load-balancing capabilities.
- Unbound-authentication, recursion, and caching of DNS parsers.
- Yadifa-A lightweight, authoritative domain name server with DNSSEC compatibility that supports the. EU top-level domain name.
Host Control Panel
Web Host Control Panel
- Ajenti-linux and BSD Control Panel
- Feathur-vps Supply and management software
- Ispconfig-linux Host Control Panel
- VESTACP-host panel for Linux and Nginx
- Virtualmin-Webmin-based Linux control Panel
- Zpanel-linux BSD and Windows Control Panel
IMAP/POP3 Mail Server
- Courier IMAP/POP3-Fast, scalable, enterprise-class IMAP and POP3 servers
- Cyrus IMAP/POP3-run on a sealed server, the normal user is not allowed to log on.
- DOVECOT-IMAP and POP3 servers written primarily for security purposes
- Qpopper-an old and popular POP3 server implementation
It Asset Management
It Asset management software
- GLPI-Information Resource Manager with additional management interfaces
- OCS Inventory NG-allows users to liquidate it assets
- Racktables-Data center and server room assets, such as the hardware assets, network address, in the shelf space, the network configuration document.
- Ralph-Asset Management, DCIM, and CMDB for large data center systems and small LAN networks.
- Snipe IT-Asset and license management software
- 389 Directory Server-Deploy with Red Hat
- Apache Directory Server-Apache Software Foundation project written in Java
- Fusion Directory-improved service and corporate directory management based on OPENLDAP
- Opendj-opends Branch
- OpenDS-Another directory server written in Java
- OpenLDAP-Developed by the OpenLDAP project
Log management tools: Collect, Parse, visualize
- Elasticsearch-a Lucene-based document store that is used primarily for log indexing, storage, and analysis.
- FLUENTD-Log collection and issuance
- Flume-Distributed Log collection and aggregation system
- GRAYLOG2-Pluggable log and event Analysis server with alarm options
- Heka-Stream processing system, which can be used for log aggregation
- Kibana-Visualizing log and timestamp data
- Logstash-Tools for managing events and logs
- Octopussy-Log management solution (visualization/alarms/reporting)
- CACTI-web-based network monitoring and graphics tools
- Cabot-monitoring and alerting, similar to Pagerduty
- Extended collection of Check_mk-nagios
- Dash-a low-overhead web dashboard monitor for gnu/linux machines.
- Icinga-nagios Branch
- Librenms-observium Branch
- Monit-Small open source tools for managing and monitoring Unix systems
- Munin-Network Resource monitoring tool
- Naemon-NAGIOS4 Core-based network monitoring tool with performance enhancements and new features
- Nagios-Computer systems, network and infrastructure monitoring software
- Observium-SNMP monitoring of servers and network devices, running on Linux
- OMD-Open Monitoring distribution
- Opsview-based on Nagios4,opsview core for Small it and test environments
- Riemann-Flexible and fast event handlers that allow responsible time and metrics analysis
- Sensu-Open Source monitoring framework
- Sentry-Application monitoring, event logging and aggregation
- Shinken-Another monitoring framework
- Thruk-web interface for multi-background monitoring, support for Naemon,nagios,icinga and Shinken
- Xymon-inspired by Big Brother's network monitoring
- Zabbix-enterprise-class software for monitoring of networks and applications.
- Zabbix-Enterprise-class software for monitoring networks and applications
- Zenoss-Zope-based application, server and network management platform
Metrics and Metrics Collection
Metric collection and display software
- COLLECTD-System Statistics Collection Daemon
- COLLECTL-High precision system performance metrics collection tool.
- Dashing-ruby Gem, allows rapid development of statistical dashboards. Based on HTML5, allows large screen display in data center or conference room.
- Diamond-Python-based statistics collection daemon
- Ganglia-high performance, scalable monitoring device based on RRD servers for grids and/or clusters. Compatible with graphite, using a single collection process.
- Grafana-A graphite or influxdb dashboard and graphics editor
- Open source, scalable drawing server
- InfluxDB-Open Source distributed time series database with no external dependencies.
- KAIROSDB-Fast distributed Extensible Time series database, Opentsdb 1. Branch of X.
- OPENTSDB-store and service large amounts of time-series data without losing granularity.
- RRDtool-Open source Enterprise standard, high performance data logging and plotting system for time series data
- STATSD-Application Statistics monitoring
Network configuration Management
Network Configuration management Tools
- GESTIÓIP-an automated web-based Ipv4/ipv6 address management tool
- Rancid-Monitor network device configuration and maintenance history changes
- Rconfig-Another Network configuration management tool
- Dadamail-perl writing a mailing list Manager
- Phplist-php-Written newsletter manager
- Column Family
- Apache Hbase-hadoop database, a distributed Big data store
- Cassandra-distributed database management system designed to handle large amounts of data across multiple servers.
- Hypertable-A C + + based BigTable DBMS that saves communication and can be run independently or on a Hadoop-like distributed fs.
- Document storage
- CouchDB-a document-oriented database system for easy-to-use, multi-host replication.
- ElasticSearch-Java-based database, popular log aggregation, and e-mail archiving projects.
- MongoDB-another document-oriented database system
- RavenDB-Document-based database with Acid/things functionality
- RETHINKDB-Open source distributed document storage database, focus on JSON
- Flockdb-twitter distributed, fault-tolerant graph database
- NEO4J-Open Source graph database
- Key value
- Leveldb-google High Performance Key-value database
- Redis-Support network, memory-based, key-value, and persistent database
- Riak-Another fault-tolerant key-value NoSQL database
NoSQL Server comparison: Http://kkovacs.eu/cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis
- FPM-Versatile multi-format package creator
- Omnibus-ruby-Full stack, cross-release package management software (Ruby)
- Packman-Full stack, cross-release package management software (Python)
- Tito-Build rpm for GIT projects
- Beanstalkd-a simple, fast work queue.
- BEANSTALKD-A simple and fast work queue
- Gearman-Fast multi-lingual queue or task processing platform
- NSQ-messaging platform for real-time distribution
- RabbitMQ-Robust, full-featured, cross-release queue system
- ZeroMQ-Lightweight queuing system
relational database management System
- Firebird-A truly global open source database
- The Galera-galera MySQL cluster is an easy-to-use, high-availability solution with high system uptime, no data loss, and scalability for future growth.
- Mariadb-mysql's Community Development Branch
- MySQL-A very popular RDBMS server
- Percona Server-enhanced, replaceable MySQL
- PostgreSQL-Object Relational database management system (ORDBMS)
- POSTGRESQL-XL-A scalable open source database cluster based on PostgreSQL
- SQLite-Self-contained, weak server, 0 configuration, support for transactional SQL DBS Implementation Library
- DenyHosts-block SSH dictionary attacks and brute force attacks
- Fail2ban-Scan log files and take action on IP that shows malicious behavior
- SpamAssassin-a powerful and popular spam filter that uses a variety of detection techniques.
- Consul-consule is an Igor service discovery, monitoring and Configuration tool
- Doozerd-doozer is a highly available, fully consistent storage for a small amount of very important data
- Zookeeper-zookeeper is a centralized service for maintaining configuration information, naming, providing distributed synchronization and group services
- Exim-The Message transfer agent (MTA) developed by Cambridge University
- Haraka-high-performance, pluggable SMTP server written with JAVASCIRPT
- Mailcatcher-ruby Gem deploys a simple SMTP MTA gateway that receives all messages and displays them on the Web interface. Useful for debugging and development.
- Maildrop-Open Source one-time mail server, also useful for development
- OPENSMTPD-Secure SMTP server implemented from the OpenBSD project
- Postfix-Fast, easy to manage and safe sendmail alternatives
- Qmail-a safe sendmail alternative
- Sendmail-Message transfer agent (MTA)
Operating system-level virtualization
- Bitnami-producing open source software installers or packages for Web applications, development stacks and virtual appliances
- Docker-an open platform for developers and system administrators to build, publish, and run distributed applications
- Openvz-linux Platform Container-based virtualization
- AUTOSSH-Automatically resets the SSH session after a network outage.
- Cluster SSH-Controls multiple xterm windows through a graphical console.
- Dsh-dancer's shell/distributed shell-executes multiple remote shell commands from a single command-line wrapper.
- Mosh-Mobile Shell
- PARALLEL-SSH-Provides parallel versions of OpenSSH and related tools
- SSH Power Tool-execute commands and upload files to multiple servers simultaneously without using the pre-shared key
- Analog-the most popular log analysis tool in the world
- Goaccess-Open source real-time Web log analysis and interactive view running at the terminal
- Piwik-Free and open source web analytics app
- Webalizer-f Fast and free Web server log file parser
Work Order System
Web-based work order system
- Bugzilla-generic bug tracking and testing tools developed and used by the Mozilla project
- Cerb-a group-based mail management project based on commercial open source licensing
- Flyspray-Bug tracking system written using PHP
- MANTISBT-another Web-based defect tracking system
- OsTicket-Open source technical support ticket system
- Otrs-free and open source failure notification system software packages, companies, organizations, or other entities can use it to assign work orders based on queries and track further communication.
- Request Tracker-Work order tracking system written in Perl
- Thebuggenie-Open source work order system with very complete user rights assignment
- Mitmproxy-ython tool for intercepting, viewing, and modifying network traffic. It is very important to exclude certain problems.
- Sysdig-captures system state and activity from a running Linux instance, then saves, filters and analyzes
- Wireshark-the world's leading network protocol analysis tool
Web-based project management and defect tracking system
- Chiliproject-redmine Branch
- Gitbucket, a github-written clone, a separate jar installation
- GitLab-The clone of GitHub written with Rbuy
- Gogs-Write with Go
- Openproject-Open Source project collaboration Project
- Phabricator PHP Writing
- Redmine-written in rbuy based on Rails
- The Bug genie-php written
- Trac-python Writing
Software version and version control
- Fossil-distributed version control, built-in wiki and bug tracking
- Git-Fast distributed versioning and source control
- GNU Bazaar-Distributed version control system sponsored by Cannoicalzi
- Mercurial-another version control
- Subversion-Client-server version control system
- Ganeti-Clustered Virtual Server management software built on KVM and Xen
- Kvm-linux Kernel Virtualization Architecture
- OVirt-Managing virtual machines, storage and virtual networks
- Packer-Create the same machine image from a single source configured for multiple platforms
- Vagrant-Tools to create a complete development environment
- VirtualBox-Virtualization products from Oracle Corporation
- Xen-Virtual machine monitor for 32/64-bit INTEL/AMD (IA 64) and PowerPC 970 architectures
- OpenVPN-Use SSL/TLS with a custom secure key exchange protocol.
- PRITUNL-OpenVPN-based solution for easy setup
- SoftEther-Multi-protocol VPN software with advanced features
- Sshuttle-The Poor VPN
- Full IPSec implementation under Strongswan-linux
- TINC-Distributed point-to-point VPN
- Ejabberd-XMPP SMS server written in ERLANG/OTP
- Metronome Im-prosody IM Branch
- Mongooseim-ejabberd Branch
- OpenFire-Real-time collaboration (RTC) server
- XMPP server written by Prosody Im-lua
- Tigase-java implementation of XMPP server
- Mailpile-a modern, fast Web-mail client with user-friendly encryption and privacy features.
- Mailpile-an advanced, fast Web-mail client that has a user-friendly encrypted private personality
- roundcube-browser-based IMAP Client with an Application-like user interface.
- Roundcube-browser-based IMAP client with an app-like user interface
- Apache-the most popular web server
- Cherokee-Lightweight, high-performance Web server/reverse Proxy
- More optimized Web servers in the Lighttpd-speed-critical environment
- Nginx-Reverse proxy, load balancer, HTTP cache and Web server
- Uwsgi-uwsgi Project, the goal is to develop a full stack of build hosting services
- HAProxy-load balancer, SSL offload and performance optimizations, compression and generic web routing
- Varnish-HTTP-based Web application accelerator, focusing on memory optimization and compression
- DokuWiki-Using a simple and highly versatile wiki, this does not require a database.
- Gollum-A simple, git-powered wiki with good APIs and a local front end.
- Ikiwiki-a wiki compiler
- Mediawiki-Strengthening Wikipedia
- Ōlelo Wiki-wiki for saving pages on git storage
A variety of resources, such as books, websites and articles, to enhance skills and knowledge
- Code as Craft-etsy's operations blog, a large number of technical blogs
- Devopsguys-devops Consultant, operation and maintenance blog
- Rackspace Developers-blogs with a lot of devops topics
Books related to the sysadmin
- The Linux command Line-william Shotts's book about Linux commands line
- The Phoenix project:a novel about it, DevOps, and helping Your how business win-devops technology fixes issues that occur in IT organizations
- The practice of System and network administration-first and second editions describe best practices for systems and network management, independent of specific platforms or technologies.
- The Visible Ops handbook:implementing ITIL in 4 practical and Auditable Steps-a methodology designed to initiate implementation control and process improvement.
- UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook-Walk into system management from the perspective of usage
Open Source Code Editor
- Atom-Text editor from GitHub
- Brackets-Open source editor for Web design and front-end development
- Eclipse-IDE written in Java with extensible plug-in system
- Geany-gtk2 Text Editor
- GNU Emacs-An extensible, customized text editor
- Haroopad-markdown Editor with live preview
- Icecoder-Very good code editor, built-in common Web language
- Real-time collaborative code editing supported by Jotgit-git
- Light Table-Next generation Code Editor
- Lime-designed to provide an open source alternative to sublime text
- Graphical text editor under Textmate-os x
- Vim-A highly configurable text editor for efficient editing
- Servers for Hackers-Programmer's Newsletter to find out what they need to know about server-related content.
- Dotdeb-debian the storage of the lamp update package
- Remi-rhel/centos/fedora the storage of the lamp update package
Useful system administrator-related sites
- Ops School-A comprehensive program that will help you become an OPS engineer.
- Digital Ocean Tutorials-a very large resource, access to basic applications, tools, and even systems management topics.
Transferred from: http://blog.jobbole.com/83212
Recommended! System administrator resources compiled by foreign programmers