A Free Trial That Lets You Build Big!
Start building with 50+ products and up to 12 months usage for Elastic Compute Service
The following articles mainly introduce the differences between different versions of Oracle databases: Oracle Database Standard Edition One, which is the most basic commercial version, it includes the basic functions of the Oracle database. Oracle Database Standard Edition, Standard Edition, including the features and RAC of the above version. RAC is included only in the 10 Gb Standard Edition.
Although Oracle Database Enterprise Edition and Enterprise Edition are the most powerful versions, not all of the features we commonly use are in this version, and many things still require additional charges, it will be mentioned later.
Oracle Database Personal Edition, Personal Edition, includes all functions of the Enterprise Edition except RAC, but note that only the Personal Edition is available on Windows platforms.
Next let's take a look at the features that are not supported in Standard Edition One and Standard Edition, but some of them are common or commonly used.) Note, in addition to RAC, these features are still included in the Personal Edition.
1. Oracle Data Guard, not supported. Customers who want high availability cannot select the Standard Edition)
2. Some Online operations, such as Online index maintenance and Online table redefinition, are not supported.
3. Backup and recovery operations are limited, such as Block-level media recovery), Parallel backup and recovery of Parallel backup and recovery), multiple backup Duplexed backup sets) and so on.
4. The Flashback function is not supported by Flashback Table, Flashback Database, and Flashback Transaction Query in the Standard Edition.
5. VPDVirtual Private Database) not supported
6. FGAFine-grained auditing) not supported
7. Partitions are not supported either.
8. Data compression, such as table compression and partition compression are not supported
9. Bitmapped index and bitmapped join index are not supported. If the data warehouse system is used, the standard version cannot be selected)
10. Export transportable tablespace. Note that Import is not supported here), but import transportable tablespace, including cross-platform Import, is supported. That is to say, if you select Standard Edition, it is difficult to simply transfer the Oracle database to other platforms.
11. Some Parallel operations are not supported, including Parallel query, Parallel DML, Parallel index build, Parallel Data Pump export and import.
12. Streams is not supported, and a high availability feasible solution is missing.
13. The multi-master mode of Advanced Replication is not supported, and a high availability solution is missing. Of course, the Replication solution of the materialized view is still supported.
14. Connection Manager is not supported.
The standard version supports RAC in 10 Gb, But oracle has restrictions. To use RAC in the standard version, you can only use Oracle Clusterware and do not support any other third-party cluster software ), at the same time, you must use ASM to store and manage data files. other third-party volume management and file systems are not supported ).
If you want to install another Oracle database as RMAN repository or OEM Grid Control repository, you do not need to pay additional fees.
In addition, if you purchased the Standard One version at the lowest level, the following functions are not supported.
3. Data Mining
4. Advanced Security
5. Label Security
8. Oracle Management Packs
Orace 9i Standard Edition & Enterprise Edition
The main difference between the Enterprise Edition and the Standard Edition of Oracle9i Database is that the Enterprise Edition has more powerful parallel and distributed processing capabilities. The Standard Edition is a database management system designed for the development, deployment, and management of department-level Internet applications, is a first-class database for traditional department-level applications. The Enterprise Edition should be used for applications that exceed the department-level standards or access Oracle databases.
Finally, there are some FAQs about oracle products:
1. What version is currently on sale for Oracle database software?
A: Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g are currently on sale.
2. Is 10g better than 9i?
A: After the launch of A new version of software, it will take some time to test, during which there will be A lot of patches. However, new versions of software often have more new features and more friendly interfaces. 9i and 10g are currently on sale. In comparison, 9i is more stable and mature, while 10 Gb provides more new features. We recommend that you select the best one based on your business needs. Because this FAQ is from the previous year, we recommend that you select the oracle 10G R2 version)
3. What types of Oracle Database software are available?
A: Oracle database software is divided into Personal Edition, Standard Edition 1, Standard Edition, and Enterprise Edition.
4. Can you tell us the characteristics and differences between the Personal Edition, Standard Edition 1, Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition?
A: Standard Edition 1 Standard Edition One) is applicable to servers with 1 to 2 CPUs. It has A considerable price advantage, but is only available in single-host environments and is suitable for entry-level applications for small and medium users;
Standard Edition) is applicable to 1-4 CPU servers, including 4-CPU Single Server or 2 dual-CPU servers. It can be used for dual-machine hot standby or RAC, and the price is moderate, applicable to applications at the working group level and department level for large and medium-sized users who have further requirements on database performance and security;
Enterprise Edition) is applicable to standalone, dual-host, multi-CPU, multi-node clusters, and other environments with complete functions, but the cost is relatively high, it is suitable for large-scale enterprise-level and high-end enterprise-level applications with high database performance and reliability requirements.
For more information about the functional modules, see Oracle Database whitepaper.
5. Is Enterprise Edition better than Standard Edition?
A: The Enterprise Edition is fully functional and provides higher reliability and performance, but it also means more software and hardware costs. We recommend that you determine the version based on your actual needs. The most suitable version is the best.
6. What is the Oracle ordering method?
A: There are two ways to order by number of users and by CPU, in which the order by CPU is also called the unlimited user version.
7. What is the official definition of Oracle users?
A: Every User accessing the Oracle database, whether it is A natural person or A device, is counted as A User (Named User ).
Official English definition: Named User Plus: is defined as an individual authorized by you to use the programs which are installed on a single server or multiple servers, regardless of whether the individual is actively using the programs at any given time. A non human operated device will be counted.
8. How does one calculate the number of Oracle users?
A: The minimum number of users of Oracle official versions is:
Individual version: 1 user * PC count
Standard Edition 1 = number of servers x 5
Standard Edition = server CPU x 10 Users
Enterprise Edition = server CPU x 25 users;
Users should order according to their actual number of users, and not less than the minimum number of users required by the corresponding version.
9. Under what circumstances should I order according to the CPU?
A: If the number of users accessing Oracle is large, or the number of users cannot be estimated, the order should be made according to CPUProcessor.
10. What is the official definition of Processor?
A: equal to the total number of CPUs of servers that install Oracle database software.
Official English definition: Processor: shall be defined as all processors where the Oracle programs are installed and/or running. programs licensed on a Processor basis may be accessed by your internal users (including agents and contractors) and by your third party users.
11. Could you give an example?
A: For example, if your application is based on the Internet and Oracle is the website background database, each user accessing the website database through the Internet is counted as one user according to Oracle's official definition of the number of users, in this way, the number of users is large and cannot be estimated, so you should order according to the number of CPU.
12. Is the fee charged by CPU High?
A: Generally, the cost of 1 CPU is about 50 users. Therefore, if the number of users is greater than the number of CPUs * 50, it is more economical to order by CPU.
13. do Internet or B/S architecture applications have to be subscribed to by CPU?
A: Not necessarily. If the number of users accessing the Oracle database is estimated, and the number of users is not much smaller than the number of server CPUs * 50), you can also order the number of users.
14. What is the public Price List Price for Oracle database software?
A: Please refer to the public quotation List Price) table.
15. How is the price calculated for Oracle database software?
A: formula: Q = (P * N * (1-D) * (1 + 22%) + 415) * (1 + 17%)
Q: tax-included price after discount
P: unit price not taxed per user or CPU)
N: Number of users or CPUProcessor;
D: discount % off). The initial discount is 30% off.
22%: one-year standard service fee, with 7% Product Support and 15% upgrade guarantee;
C: Media fee. Currently, the fee is RMB 580/set.
16. What is the discount?
A: Oracle officially stipulates that the initial discount from Oracle database software to end users is 25% off. End users must be provided for special discounts. Please refer to the Oracle software order confirmation letter.
17. Can I provide a trial version? How long is the trial term?
A: After your subscription is made, you can provide A trial version for free trial and evaluation. The trial period is one month. If you do not subscribe after the trial period, you must uninstall and delete the installed Oracle trial software from the system.
Start building with 50+ products and up to 12 months usage for Elastic Compute Service