1. Virtual memory technology, Windows through the exchange of files to achieve, Linux through the swap partition to achieve. So Windows has only one partition, and installs Linux at least two partitions, one of which is swap partition, virtual memory to some extent can solve the problem of insufficient memory.
2. Hard disk must be partitioned before use, hard disk partition has primary partition, extended partition and logical partition, a hard disk can only have four primary partitions, one of the primary partitions can be replaced with an extended partition, can only have an extended partition, this extended partition can be divided into multiple logical partitions
3.linux disk devices and partition naming
The first IDE hard disk is called/dev/hda, and the second IDE is called/DEV/HDB
The first SCSI hard drive is called/DEV/SDA, and the second SCSI hard drive is called/dev/sdb
The first IDE first partition is called/DEV/HDA1, and the first IDE fifth partition is called/dev/hda5
The second block Sasi the first partition is called/DEV/SDB1, and the second SCSI fifth partition is called/DEV/SDB5
4. After partitioning, to create the file system on the partition, Windows has fat,fat32,ntfs. There are ext3,reiserfs under Linux. Create a file system that is similar to the format of Windows
5. Static partitions after a partition is depleted, can only temporarily solve the problem, methods: Symbolic links, similar to Windows shortcuts, adjust the size of the partition tool, but downtime rectification, or back up the entire system, clear the hard disk, repartition. and using Logical disk volume management can solve this problem fundamentally
6. What is a LVM,LVM is a mechanism for disk partition management, is the logical layer between the hard disk and partition, thereby increasing the flexibility of disk partition management,
7. Physical volume, PV, at the lowest level of LVM, can be the entire hard disk, the partition on the hard disk, or the logical partition has the same function of the device,
8. Volume group, VG, consisting of one or more physical volumes, and can dynamically add physical volumes to the volume group, while one or more LVM partitions can be created on the volume group (logical volume)
9. Logical volume LV, is a piece of blank cut out from the volume group, logical volume can change the space size freely
10, physical area, PE each physical area is divided into basic units, with a unique number of PE can be addressed by LVM minimum storage unit, the size of the PE is in the actual situation to create a physical volume decision, the default is 4096, the same volume group, all the physical volumes of the PE size must be the same.
11. Logical area, le, in the same volume group, Le's size and PE are the same, and one by one correspond