PRB: "Unable to Start Debugging on the Web Server" Error Message When You Debug ASP.NET Applications
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft ASP.NET (included with the .NET Framework)
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET (2002), Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET (2002), Enterprise Architect Edition
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET (2002), Enterprise Developer Edition
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET (2002), Academic Edition
This article was previously published under Q306165
When you debug an ASP.NET application in Visual Studio .NET, you may receive the following error message:
Error while trying to run project : Unable to start debugging on the web server. Would you like to disable future attempts to debug ASP.NET pages for this project?
This error occurs because Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) is not running or is not functioning properly.
To resolve this problem, you must restart IIS. To do this, type iisreset at a command prompt.
For more general information about ASP.NET, refer to the following MSDN newsgroup:
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnetLast Reviewed:12/12/2002Keywords:kbDebug kbDSupport kberrmsg kbprb KB306165