OneDrive for Business next-generation synchronization client spring update Overview
Last year, Microsoft announced the launch of the first version of the next-generation OneDrive for Business synchronization client, greatly improving its synchronization reliability and performance. Today, Microsoft once again announced that they are upgrading the next generation of OneDrive for Business synchronization client in spring, which will be further upgraded and new features will be released.
The improvements include:
- Windows 8.1 support: fulfill the support commitment for mainstream Windows operating systems (Windows 7, 8.x, and 10) in the current Windows family.
- Integrated with Office 2016: This product is available in sync with Office 2016 "current update". Key features include real-time collaboration, file sharing from Office applications, and file opening from the list of recently used documents.
- Improved installation experience: Now, any user can easily obtain and install the new version of the OneDrive synchronization client. You do not need to configure the Windows registry or Mac terminal first.
- Seamless client upgrade: if you are using the old-fashioned synchronous client (groove.exe), this update can be seamlessly upgraded without re-synchronization. Click here for details.
- Pause synchronization: added the long-awaited pause synchronization feature.
- View online files: Right-click Windows Resource Manager and choose view online to view the online files or folders of OneDrive for Business in your browser.
- Synchronize any file type: supports new file types such as .json).aspx0000.swf and more. Now you can add any types of files to OneDrive for Business.
- Blocking synchronization of specific file types: It can block synchronization of large files such as PST and MKV and other specific types of files to save bandwidth.
- Enhanced performance and reliability: Especially optimized the upload and download of small files.
Most of the features mentioned above will be released within one to two weeks. The "Office 2016 integration" and "Pause synchronization" features will be available this summer.
Microsoft will launch more feature updates for the next-generation synchronization client of OneDrive for Business later this year:
- Bandwidth limit: The bandwidth limit function will be available at the end of June.
- Integration with Windows Resource Manager: You can share files directly with Windows Resource Manager by clicking on the right side.
- SharePoint Online document library synchronization: The SharePoint Online document library synchronization feature will be added for preview in the third quarter of 2016, and will be officially released at the end of the year.
This article permanently updates the link address: