The motherboard for a common home PC has more requirements for performance and functionality, while the server board is a host board developed specifically to meet server applications (high stability, high performance, and highly compatible environments). Due to the high operating time of the server, high operational strength, and huge data conversion, power consumption, I/O throughput, the requirements for the server board are quite stringent.
The difference between a server board and a normal PC motherboard:
First, server boards typically support at least two processors-the chipset is different (often more than two-way servers, and a single server sometimes uses a desktop board).
Second, almost any part of the server supports ECC, memory, processor, chipset (but higher-order desktops are also starting to support ECC)
Third, the server has a lot of places redundancy, high-end server even CPU, memory has redundancy, mid-range server, hard disk, power redundancy is very common, but low-end server is often a desktop modification products, but also select the first line of the factory power.
Four, because the server network load is relatively large, so the server's NIC is generally using TCP/IP uninstall engine network card, high efficiency, speed, CPU footprint small, but at present high-end desktop also began to use high-end network card or even dual network card.
Five, there are already a lot of hard drives, and more and more servers will replace SATA with SAS/SCSI.
· Server:intel XEON/AMD opteron® (only two-way and above servers)
· Pc:p4/celeron/p4m/core/core I3/core I5/core 7/AMD
· SMP Technology:
The full name of SMP is "symmetric multiprocessing" (symmetrical multi-processing), a collection of processors on a single computer, a shared memory subsystem between CPUs, and a bus structure. In this architecture, a computer is no longer made up of a single CPU, while the operating system is run by multiple processors, together with memory and other resources. Although multiple CPUs are used at the same time, they behave like a single computer to the user. The system assigns tasks to multiple CPUs, which improves the data processing capabilities of the entire system. In symmetric multiprocessing systems, system resources are shared by all CPUs in the system, and workloads can be distributed evenly over all available processors.
· Pc:non ECC
· ECC is a shorthand for "error Checking and correcting", and the Chinese name is "bug check and correction". ECC is a technology that can realize "error checking and correcting", and ECC memory is the memory of this technology, it is used in server and graphics workstation, which will make the whole computer system more secure and stable at work.
· SERVER:SAS/SCSI/SATA/RAID/SFF SAS
· Server: Redundant power supply/dedicated power PFC (powered Function correcting power factor corrector)
· PC: Ordinary, but the high-end computer also uses the server power.
· Server: Redundant fan
· PC: Normal
· PC: also GB, but generally only one network card.