Developer on Alibaba Coud: Build your first app with APIs, SDKs, and tutorials on the Alibaba Cloud. Read more ＞
I. No display at startup
No display is displayed when the microcomputer is started. The first consideration is BIOS. The BIOS of the motherboard stores important hardware data, which is also a delicate part of the motherboard and is vulnerable to damage. Once damaged, the system may fail to run, this type of fault occurs generally because the BIOS of the motherboard is damaged by the CIH virus (of course, the failure of the motherboard itself is not ruled out and the system cannot run .). After the BIOS is damaged by viruses, all data in the hard disk will be lost. Therefore, we can check whether the hard disk data is intact to determine whether the BIOS is damaged. If the hard disk data is intact, there are three reasons for the problem of no display at startup:
1. due to problems with the motherboard expansion slot or expansion card, the motherboard does not respond and is not displayed after an expansion card such as a sound card is inserted.
2. For the current patch cord-free motherboard, if the CPU frequency set in CMOS is incorrect, it may also cause non-fault display. In this case, you only need to clear the CMOS to solve the problem. The patch cord for removing CMOS is generally located near the lithium battery of the motherboard. Its default position is generally 1 or 2 short circuits. You only need to change it to 2 or 3 short circuits for several seconds to solve the problem, if the user cannot find the patch cord for the old motherboard, just remove the battery, wait for the display to enter the CMOS settings after the boot, and then shut down the battery to discharge the CMOS.
3. Failure to identify memory, memory damage, or memory Mismatch on the motherboard may cause no fault displayed during startup. Some old mainboards are very picky about memory. Once inserted into the memory that cannot be identified by the motherboard, the motherboard will not be able to light up, or even some mainboards will not give you any fault prompt (Tweet ), this led us to take a lot of detours during the overhaul. Of course, sometimes, in order to expand the memory to improve the system performance, inserting different brands and types of memory will also lead to such faults, therefore, pay more attention to the maintenance.
If the motherboard BIOS is damaged, you can insert the ISA video card to check whether the display is displayed. (if any, follow the prompts to perform the operation .), If you do not have a boot screen, you can make a floppy disk that automatically updates the BIOS and refresh the BIOS. However, some motherboard BIOS will not work after it is damaged, you can try to solve the problem by using hot swapping (I have tried to install it on the same motherboard as long as the BIOS is the same .). However, using hot swapping in addition to the need for the same BIOS may also cause damage to some components on the motherboard, therefore, the reliable method is to write the BIOS update file into the BIOS using the writer (you can find a computer provider with this service to Solve the Problem safely ).
If the motherboard is damaged, it may be caused by leaking of the battery on the motherboard for a long time (for the old motherboard), which makes the motherboard unable to work normally, in this regard, we can thoroughly clean it to see if it can solve the problem. This method also has a cure for the poor contact between the slots on the motherboard.
Cleaning Method: Use a tool to unplug the BIOS and CMOS batteries on the motherboard, then use a hard brush and washing powder to thoroughly clean all its components, and finally rinse them with tap water, wait until the motherboard is dry and try again (it is safer to store it for a week ).
Ii. Damage to the comport, parallel port, and IDE port of the motherboard
This kind of fault is generally caused by the live insertion and removal of hardware by the user. At this time, the user can use a multi-function card instead, however, you must first disable the Comport and parallel port on the motherboard before replacement (some motherboard MUST disable the IDE port for normal use ).
3. The CMOS settings cannot be saved.
This type of fault is generally caused by insufficient battery on the motherboard. you can replace it with this type of fault. However, some battery on the motherboard cannot solve the problem after the battery is changed. There are two possible causes:
1. Ask a professional for repair of the motherboard circuit problem;
2. Due to human fault, the CMOS jumper on the motherboard is set as the clear option or as an external battery, which makes the CMOS Data unable to be saved.
4. After loading the driver on the motherboard in windows, the reading speed of the crashed or optical drive will slow down.
This type of problem may occur on some non-Famous Brand boards. After the motherboard driver is installed, the computer cannot be restarted to enter the win98 desktop in normal mode, and the driver cannot be uninstalled under Windows 98, the user has to reinstall the system.
I have seen some articles in some magazines that loading the motherboard driver can speed up the host and enhance the system stability. However, for the current WIN98se version, this version of 98 comes with a relatively new device driver, unless there is a device conflict under WIN98, there is no need to install the motherboard driver for other (of course, if you purchased a non-INTEL chip motherboard, it depends on the installation situation, some non-INTEL motherboard needs to install the motherboard driver ).
5. The mouse is unavailable when windows is installed or windows is started
The software causes of such faults generally include:
1. The cmos settings are incorrect. There is a modem use IRQ item in the Power Management bar of the cmos settings. The options are 3, 4, 5 ......, NA. Generally, its default option is 3. Set it to an interrupt item other than 3. Such faults are common in old-fashioned 586 computers, and the current new motherboard does not.
2. On some old-fashioned 586 computers, its Comport and LPT port are connected by a signal connection line outside the chassis. The signal connection line of its comport varies with the motherboard, and its connection method is also different, if the connection method is incorrect, the mouse may be unavailable. The connection method generally includes the following two types: 1. The signal line is connected to the connection head in sequence from 1 to 9. 2. The signal line is crossly connected with the connection point. The first line above the connection head connects the 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 of the signal lines respectively. The following lines are 2, 4, 6, and 8.
6. Frequent computer crashes, even in the CMOS settings
A crash occurs in CMOS, which is generally caused by a problem with the motherboard or CPU. If the fault cannot be solved by pressing the following method, you only need to replace the motherboard or CPU.
This kind of fault is generally caused by a problem with the motherboard CACHE or poor design and cooling of the motherboard. On the elegant 815EP motherboard, I found that the fault was caused by the poor heat dissipation of the motherboard. After a crash, you can touch the main board components around the CPU and find that the temperature is very high and hot. After replacing the high-power fan, the dead end fault can be solved. If there is a CACHE fault, we can go to the CMOS settings and disable the CACHE to Solve the Problem smoothly. Of course, the speed after the CACHE is disabled will certainly be affected.
7. After the computer is started, it stops running, but the computer is not dead
Award Soft Ware, Inc
This kind of fault is regarded as a hardware fault at the beginning, but after repeated observation and practice, you find that this problem is caused by improper CMOS settings. The pnp OS INSTALLED (plug-and-play) project in the PNP/PCI CONFIGURATION column set in CMOS generally has two options: YES and NO, the cause of the above fault is that the problem can be solved after the plug-and-play is set to "YES" and changed to "NO. Some Boards enable the plug-and-play function of CMOS, which can also lead to problems such as abnormal sound card pronunciation. pay more attention to this issue.
The last thing to note is that the computer motherboard has many brands, and there are many different brands. The fault performance is also strange. Some fault analyses listed here are as follows, it is also a general fault judgment based on the corresponding maintenance experience. Therefore, these experiences are for reference only.
This article is an English version of an article which is originally in the Chinese language on aliyun.com and is provided for information purposes only. This website makes no representation or warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness ownership or
reliability of the article or any translations thereof. If you have any concerns or complaints relating to the article, please send an email, providing a detailed description of the concern or
complaint, to email@example.com. A staff member will contact you within 5 working days. Once verified, infringing content will be removed immediately.
The content source of this page is from Internet, which doesn't represent Alibaba Cloud's opinion;
products and services mentioned on that page don't have any relationship with Alibaba Cloud. If the
content of the page makes you feel confusing, please write us an email, we will handle the problem
within 5 days after receiving your email.
If you find any instances of plagiarism from the community, please send an email to:
and provide relevant evidence. A staff member will contact you within 5 working days.